Friday, April 25, 2008

...is there another wife hidden in the back room?

I had a very entertaining conversation with a mom of one of my piano students the other day. It was more entertaining on my end, and educational on her end. I typically walk my students out, have brief conversations with their parents, and head back inside. Today the mom quickly got out of her car and said, "Miss Sarah, can I ask you a question?"
I immediately knew it had something to do with the Church. It had come up a few weeks ago that I was Mormon, and her hesitancy gave the clue that it was about my faith. I said, "Sure!" and she walked slowly over to me.
"Have you ever heard of Carolyn Jessop? (I shook my head no.).... Well, she wrote a book called "Escaped".... (sounded vaguely familiar.)...."It's about the polygamist group under Warren Jeffs"
.... I finally responded, "Oh! I think I have heard about the book." (She was waiting for more information, which I didn't divulge right away, I loved watching her squirm!) "Anyway, I remember you telling me you're Mormon....and I know Mormon's are LDS? (said more as a question, so I responded 'Yes, thats right.' Here was the final question-)

"Are you apart of that group?"


And I finally relieved her of her fears: her 13 year old daughter taking piano lessons from a possible polygamist! How did it work? The sister wives cooking dinner and taking care of the kids while I taught lessons? I laughed and responded, "No. Absolutely not!"

We then had a great conversation, her expressing her unfounded fears of me being a "Mormon Polygamist", me teasing her that of course I wasn't: I have short hair, wear normal clothes, and only have 2 children, not 10. I told her to please ask me any questions she might have about Mormons, because most people outside our Church who know about our beliefs are very misguided. She left visibly relieved, and I walked away trying not to burst out laughing.

Us? Polygamists?

Ryan couldn't handle any more estrogen!

Have you recently had any funny conversations?

10 comments:

Shanna said...

Miss Sarah..... I am LOL right now. that is so funny. great story. I hate that people even associate us with those people. You would think they would see the difference in clothes and hair. that is too fummy. I wish I could have been there to hear her and see you face.

Shanna said...

I actually did have someone ask me about our Temple... they asked if when people get maarried there do they have sex on the alter infront of everyone. I asked the girl ifshe thought that I would do that. she said I don't know.. I LOL and said heck no. I then explained to her what we did do and she said she was relieved.

okbushmans said...

I've had the same "consummating" question! Isn't it crazy what people think you believe, or do behind the closed doors of your home!?

jeanine said...

That's too funny! Way to handle the questions so great. It's been a long time since I've had crazy questions like that.

Janna said...

That's so funny & not funny at the same time. I've been surprised at how many people in Oklahoma associtate (still) with polygamy. I never got asked that question in Texas when I was growing up. It's a bit of a shocker!

Where did she think you were hiding the other 30 members of your "other" family?

Melinda said...

I love your funny stories. This one is a great example...you get the headline writing award, too. You should work for a magazine!! :)

Kelly said...

Sarah.. Now Now!! So are you? THat made me laugh!! J/K I have heard that we have some polygimists that live accross the street from us. We keep a close eye on their house. I have yet to see their long dresses, but my neighbor, who is also LDS says she's seen them and they are!! Scary!! Now I am a secret spy and a lookout for polygs!! I'll let you know if anyone ever asks me such a question. I think you handled it well. lol!!!

Frampton Family said...

This is absolutely hilarious Sarah! There have been a ton of times people ask me and Josh the same thing. Josh usually responds with "I can barely handle one, let alone five". ha! Whenever people ask me weird questions about the church, it catches me off guard. I told this guy in Italy yesterday that I was from Utah, and he instantly assumed I was Mormon. I have been wanting to do a survey asking people what they think a Mormon is. I'm sure there would be some funny answers. Way to handle an awkward situation.

Alona said...

That's funny. You handled that really well. Check out my blog for our famous dealings with the Polygamy drama.

Bray said...

I will say for sure that Chris would NEVER want another wife!! I wonder if that says something about the one he has. I need to ask him about that!! hmmm
what a funny experience!