Sunday, June 15, 2008

Youth Conference

Wednesday night: We dropped off the kids with a good family friend, who graciously accepted watching Brenna and Cannon while we were gone. I did shed a few tears once we drove off, although I knew they were in very loving and capable hands! We drove a car-load of teens up to the Stake Center in Stillwater, and loaded the 3 chartered buses and departed around 10pm! Yes, 10pm! We had about 11 hour bus ride through the night to Nauvoo, Illinois.
Thursday: We hit the ground running once we arrived. We had time to see a few of the Church History sights in Nauvoo before watching the Joseph Smith movie at the Visitor's Center. It was very powerful watching the horrible and wonderful events in his life, where it actually took place. We then went to Carthage Jail, where he and his brother were martyred. Although devastating events took place there, there was a peaceful spirit. And the youth could feel it. They were amazing! After which, we finally headed to the Western Illinois University's dorms where we were finally going to sleep. I crashed!
Friday: We had an early start, but the weather was amazing. We were extremely worried about our weather prospects, especially with the horrible tornados in Iowa and that area. But the weather was overcast and unseasonably cool, which was perfect for sight seeing! We spent the day with our youth visiting old print shops, brick makers, post office, former Prophet's homes, etc. It was a wonderful morning. The highlight of the day was attending the Nauvoo Temple. It is absolutely gorgeous. I found my favorite temple. It was built in replication of the original, which was destroyed by anti-Mormons. You could feel the presence of our ancestors there, and it was extremely humbling. When you realize the trials they went through, it makes it easier to cope with your own. We finished the night by having a devotional outside the beautiful temple.
Saturday: We had another early start (on the bus by 5:30am!) and drove 5 hours to Adam-ondi-Ahman. A beautiful valley that holds deep meaning for the Church. We then traveled to Liberty, Missouri, whose name is misleading. This is where the Prophet Joseph Smith and around 6-7 other church leaders spent 4 months incarcerated for their faith. This is where one of my favorite scriptural passages was revealed: "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment". We had a testimony meeting following, which was gratifying to see the affect this trip had on the youth. They are amazing kids, much further along than I was at their age. After dinner we loaded the buses and made the long drive back, arriving in Stillwater around 12:45am. We didn't crawl into bed until around 2:15am! We are grateful to be back in our beds, but feel extremely blessed to go on this trip. Although I was a last-minute replacement, I feel like I was supposed to be there all along. I had prayers answered, and "filled my canteen" spiritually.

No comments: