Friday, April 18, 2008

A very powerful word!



For those who know me, I have a hard time with this concept. I love helping out those who need it. I throw out the cliche "Is there anything I can do?" like it is candy. Most times I bite off more than I can chew, get overwhelmed, and take it out on my hubby and kids. But I get threw it.
I didn't realize how hard it really is for me to say no, until I had a phone call yesterday. A good friend is going out of town for a few days. They needed help watching their kids, which we have done several times in the past. I thought, "Great! I love babysitting them!" But, their trip is the same time we will be at my brothers wedding, hundreds of miles away.
There was NO conceivable way to make it work.
Even though I knew that, I was still trying to go through possible scenarios of how to make it work. And I realized how ridiculous I was being! We have planned this trip for over 6 months, and I am aching to spend time with my family. And yet, the word "no" or the phrase "we can't help this time" were stuck in my throat! Our friends will find the help they need, no one is left in peril. But I still struggled with it!

Isn't that insane!?!?

7 comments:

Ashley Dickman said...

I LOVE YOU SARAH!!!! I don't tell you enough how grateful I am to have you in my life!!! Thank you for the phone calls and checking up on me! I am soo.. blessed that my husband saw your husband that day outside and my dreams came true! I remember saying, "I hope his wife is cool!"... YOU ARE THE COOLEST!!! What would I do without you!?

Rachel and Todd said...

I'm the same way, babe. But, I sure hope you said no! I want to see you! :)

Bray said...

So proud of you for learning to say no....I don't know how much more you can take on!! By the way after Ava's party she has worn the Dora outfit and danced to Dora songs every day....the outfit was getting crusty and I had to wash it. Thanks she loves it.

The High Family- said...

You are such a kind person. That is a really big step for you to say no. It is also really hard for me to say no . I promise once you say it a couple times it will just start coming naturally. ( Geez, I sound like the most non-serviceminded person on the planet!)

Frampton Family said...

AWW! I found you! I saw your blog forever ago, but couldn't remember how I got to it. And now I found it again. I hope it's alright if I add you as a friend Sarah. You're family is so dang cute. I remember going to your wedding reception(which seems like yesterday). And now you have two beautiful kids?! I have been catching up on your little life for the past hour. And I must say, you are a great writer. I epecially love this post. You descibed how I feel exactly. It has taken me years to say "That will not work for me". I always feel bad if I can't help someone. But realized they will always have other people to ask. You are too cute. Anyway, I would love to see how you're doing.
www.framptonfam.blogspot.com

Janelle

Robyn said...

No!!!

Just kidding. You know I'm the same way. I seem to think that I can do everything until the stress of it hits me and I am thinking "what am I doing?" I love that you are so willing to help anyone in need. Even though you could not help them out, you would if you could.

Kelly said...

Sarah! I am proud of you for saying no. I miss you a ton too!! When are you coming out west again? Love ya girlie!!