
I did not sleep last night! I tossed and turned, and kept checking the alarm clock. I did not want to sleep in. I didnt' want to be in a rush, and get stressed out and make her first day miserable. So by the time morning came, I was ready to get this day going! I made pancakes from scratch, with syrup, sausage, orange juice and fresh fruit. Not a typical weekday breakfast in the Bushman home, but I was making this doubley special day start on the right foot. It is Brenna's first day of First Grade at Russell Dougherty,
AND Cannon's 3rd Birthday!


Brenna LOVES her new outfit that Grandma Lorraine bought. She showed it to a few of her friends before school, and did a fashion show for the Cameron family and her dad. She looked adorable and so grown up!

Russell Dougherty Elementary is a "Parent's Choice School" which has no attendance boundaries, and has special emphasis on Spanish and technology used in the classrooms. It is also a lot smaller, with class sizes maxing at 20 kids, and only 2 classes per grade. After being there for information day and today, I feel like I know several of the parents, teachers, and administration. With it being a much smaller school, you get to know everyone easier and really feel a sense of community!

Cannon did not want to be in his stroller. He wanted to join her in school. Poor guy, wait till next year for Pre-K! They definitely missed their big sister while she was gone. So did I!

I spent all my time getting Brenna ready for school, I didn't leave any time for me. But I was so proud, I had to get a picture with her!

Outside her new classroom. It is warm, and inviting, but has plenty of room for all the fun she will have! I think she has overused her picture perfect smile. But she still poses without complaining!

Here is Brenna with her teacher, Mrs. Harper! She grew up with Ryan's family here in Edmond. Ryan's parents were her Seminary teachers, and she was in a few of Ryan's home videos. It makes me feel more comfortable introducing her to a new school when she has a teacher who knows her already! And even without that connection, I've heard GREAT things from a lot of previous students and parents.

I walked Brenna in, and they took them out to the playground. We waited around their classroom like paparazzi, until they returned. Brenna already knows two girls in her class, friends from church. She also met some triplets on information day that she remembered their names when we saw them walking in. She is READY for full time school. Am I?!?!?

Can you spot her? She is closer to the back of the picture. This was the last picture I snapped before I stepped away and talked with some of the other moms. I was very surprised that I didn't tear up, or get emotional. Yes, I was sad. I was going to miss her. But my excitement for her outweighed the sadness! I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or proud of myself for not crying. But as we left, they had a PTO table set up with a "BooHoo" sign, with muffins and coffee for those moms who needed some treats and consoling. I thought that was very thoughtful and funny.
After-school Report: Brenna LOVED her new school. She went to music and spanish, and didn't really learn anything new yet. She played on the playground, and LOVED lunch. She got my note for her in her lunch, and thought that was a great surprise! She sat with Ashley and Rachel (friends from Church) and saw two girls she went to Pre-K with. I didn't hear a bad report from her, this was a GREAT first day! Keep them coming!
3 comments:
Congratulations, Brenna! I'm so glad that you liked your first day of school - and nice work, Sarah, for being so positive and put-together about it! I am already dreading Oliver's forray into the school system and he just turned one...uh-oh :)
I just learned that forray means something entirely different than what I thought it meant - I hope that five years from now the word "forray" does NOT describe Ollie's entrance into the school system :).
I love your blog Sarah! It's so fun to see you as a mom with a cute family. It was so fun seeing you at the reunion!
Post a Comment