
We at our breakfasts on the deck, so we could watch as we came into port. Are we really going to get off the boat this time!?!?

We are OFF!!! It was a great feeling, not only to be off the boat, but to know that we will have our FULL vacation! First stop, PROGRESSO!

We drove about an hour and 45 minutes through Progresso, Mexico to Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins. Progresso is a port town, and is typical of Latin American countries. Stray dogs standing around, bars on all windows and doors, lots of overloaded motorcycles, small and cramped housing with shamble roofs. On this drive I had two thoughts: I am SO grateful to live in America, and I want to serve a mission. But after a quick "bathroom stop" which was more a "stop to buy over priced souvenirs". We didn't bite. After another 15 minutes, we made it to Chichen Itza. Immediately after stepping out of the bus, we were bombarded with half a dozen Mexican's selling random handmade souvenirs. I tried to ignore them as much as possible, which became difficult in the 100 yard walk to the entrance into the park, and it continued as we walked around the ruins.


Several months before we were there, they discovered that there was more underneath the great temple. So while we were there, they were digging out this structure. We thought it looked like the foundation, or possible part of a plaza of some kind. But very cool to see the process!

The downside of Chichen Itza compared to other Mayan Ruins that we could visit, is you can't touch or climb on them. Everything is roped off. So here is our attempt at looking like we were!

After a long hot walk around Chichen Itza, and another long nap on our drive back to the port, we relaxed on the very back of the ship, watching the wake behind us. Ahhhhhhhh.....

In planning for the trip, we thought it would spice up the dinners if we had a theme night. And what better theme than the 80s??? We were in, and the McKinley's were in. Newtons weren't interested in making fools of themselves. So we decided to surprise them Wednesday night at dinner, wearing our outrageous costumes. Yes, heads were turning!

Let me introduce Hans (spoken with a German accent, a la Sprockets on SNL!) Without Ryan's wig he looked a little.... flamboyant?

Thank you to the Merkleys for supplying much of our costumes! It was SO much fun!

Here's the Flashback dinner party. The McKinleys did an AWESOME job with their outfits! And I have to brag that I fit into my leather pants I had my freshman year in college! Woo-hoo!

After dinner, we went to a Saturda Night Fever dance class. They taught us about 6 eight counts of a disco style dance. Afterwards, they had a dance of between the three "best", which included a slightly drunk man, a slightly drunk woman, and ME! Maybe it was my amazing dancing skills, or the fact that I could dance in a straight line, but I WON!

I was so proud.

Ryan then parcipated in a Boulderdash game show. The workers gave three definition, and those chosen from the audience had to guess who was telling the truth. The host asked Ryan, "What's your name" and Ryan responded with his name. He then asked, "And where are you from?" Ryan quickly responded, "1982!" Everyone was laughing. It was great!


After these activities, another "show", and a fun deck party watching drunk adults attempt to dance, we finally called it a night. What a long, FUN, sweaty, packed day!

Good night!
2 comments:
Sounds like you guys had a blast, but I'm a little scared that you actually own leather pants!!!
how fun!! i am so glad that you got to see chichen itza. joe and i saw it on our honeymoon. can you believe that i climbed that big ol mama jama?! it was scary coming down!! cute 80s outfit!!
Post a Comment