
Hi. My name is Sarah Bushman. And I have a problem. I am a multi-tasker. I have been one as long as I can remember. I realized I had a serious problem over the course of a few incidents. Last night, I was folding laundry, while downloading articles from the internet on our laptop, while eating dessert, while talking to someone on the phone, while trying to watch Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Even the everyday tasks of brushing my teeth or going to the bathroom are opportunities to multi-task. Everynight while I brush my teeth, I put toys away and turn off lights or the computer. This afternoon, while sitting on my thrown, I couldn't just sit there! I had to carefully reach over and roll up my now cooled off hair straightener and put my hair brush away.
- I have now made the first step of admitting I am powerless over mutli-tasking.
- I believe that the greater power of time management could restore me back to sanity.
- I have made the decision to turn my will over to mediocrity, as I understand it.
- I have made a searching and fearless moral inventory of myself, which did not play well with my other addiction of OCD. The inventory is on an Excel Spreadsheet and is alphabetized and categorized.
- Through this post, I am admitting to God, to myself, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
- I am entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character, but while I wait I still need to vaccum our living room, finish getting ready, bake cookies, prepare for cub scouts, and give Brenna some attention.
- "Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings" I plan on getting to this one tonight after my teeth brushing ritual.
- Making a "list of all persons we had harmed" is on my prioritized list of "Things to do".
- I would like to make direct amends to people my issue has caused pain. This would include family members, friends, those who work with me in Primary, my piano students, but most of all, my husband and kids!
- I do have an updated personal inventory in that Excel Spreadsheet, which I am color coding at this very moment, while I do my make-up.
- Does prayer and meditation count when it is done while I am waiting in the car-line to pick up Brenna from school, while I'm reading my latest book and addressing envelopes?
- I have had a spiritual awakening, and now am asking for those of you out there who are also Multi-Tasking abusers to boldly step forward and take the 12 steps necessary to recovery.
4 comments:
Wish I could sympathize with you more. We all know that I know how to say no to too many challanges that come my way. I multi-task the small stuff but hardly ever take on to many other responsibilities. Could this be because I am an anti-social. Probably, guess that is the fault in my life I need to change. See we all have shortcomings we need to get over. Great post!!! Good luck!
Heather
You are too funny... how did you like Benjamin Button. Rich and I finished watching last night. I can't say that we were fans.
I need to take the 12 step-program journey! I went to a PTO meeting yesterday at the school Ellen doesn't even attend until the fall and even then she is only going 2 1/2 hours a day and I am now chairing THREE committees!! What is my problem. HELP ME, SARAH, HELP ME!!
Yep, we're sisters. Oh, and I like the fact that the shirt is a maternity shirt--or at least it looks like it is!
Post a Comment