Saturday, May 9, 2009

The expensive child

Not too long ago a friend asked how long we had been in our home. I had to really think about it, and the answer shocked me. This month is our home's 3rd birthday! Just like with your kids, 3 years goes by fast. And while I was reminiscing, I remembered what it was like to become new parents of our very own home.

We were ecstatic when we first walked in after signing the papers. Leading up to this big moment, Ryan's parents sat us down and tried to prepare us for the unexpected expenses. We felt like we had a good understanding, Ryan worked for two mortgage institutions. We understand loans, interest rates, PMI, home owners insurance, property taxes, first time home buyer grants, etc. We were ahead of the game. They reminded us of the increase of every bill, household needs that we didn't need renting, like a lawn mower, hose, etc. It was a sobering discussion. I am grateful for it, because I feel like we went in with our eyes completely wide open.

Now looking back over the past three years, it is amazing to me how much my relationship with the house is almost like a parent. It can be one of the most frustrating, stressful, expensive, and rewarding decisions you can make. I love our house, I feel comfortable here. Coming home from a vacation, I love walking in and knowing you are home. But when you feel like you have a handle on everything, something goes wrong. Your air conditioner goes out, a strong wind blows over part of your fence, a broken window, garage door breaking. And this is all separate than cosmetic changes you want to make. Finally after 3 years I feel like we are in the groove. Every room has a memory and even the dents and dings have stories to tell.

Ryan and I were just laughing about our first apartment together. It was literally a shoe box. We estimate it was about a 400 square foot studio apartment. One bedroom, one bathroom, a hallway for a kitchen. We barely owned anything, and what we did own was hand-me-down hideous furniture. We couldn't wait to get out of there. But it was still home, and looking back we have some of the funniest memories there. Sometimes the most simple times are the sweetest. And I'm sure in 10 years when we look back on our first home, we will have the same fondness.

I absolutely couldn't be happier with our decision and we have been extremely happy the past three years. I love our expensive third child, and can't wait to bring out latest edition home.

No comments: