
War hero? Check.
POW? Check.
9-11? Check.
Maverick? Check.
National Security? Check.
Public Servant? Check.
Dry delivery? Check.
Use of "My Friends"? Check.
Protesters? Check.
Fell asleep? Check.
Is this the outline of the Republican platform? These were the "highlights" from John McCain's acceptance speech. To give a disclaimer: John McCain hates teleprompters. John McCain hates prepared speeches. And yes, John McCain is a war hero who sacrificed more for our country than probably any Presidential candidate. Now that I have that out of the way,
what happened last night!?!?!? Here's my breakdown:
Con's:
- Extremely loooonnnnngggg. He reiterated what has been said all week: he has a proven and strong record reguarding defense.
- Didn't slam Obama, but threw out questionable facts: "My opponent will close [new markets to our goods and services]". Explain how.
- Too much history. And this is coming from a history major! Let's talk about where we go from here!
- If I hear the word "Change" from either party again, I will vomit.
- I have to say, I thought I would find much more to write here. But as I re-read the transcript...I actually thought it was a much better speech than he delivered last night.
Pro's:
- He didn't slam Obama. He will leave that up to Palin.
- He loves his country, understands America's greatness.
- He understands the role of government, to stand "at your side", not a government who "makes the choices for you", the value of "personal responsibility", and where judges don't "legislate from the bench".
- Cut government spending.
- Unemployment difference benefit: Which was interesting to me just for the fact that while we were unemployed and he worked part time, we had two choices: Stop working part time and collect unemployment or make quite a bit less working part time while we worked, and not qualify for unemployement. Which is ludicrous to me! We were penalized for working!
- Energy Plan: Explore alternative fuel, but in the mean time, DRILL!
But with everything he claims he and Palin will do when they "shake up Washington", I want to have them answer my biggest question:
HOW!?
P.S. How many of you are sick of my political rants? I've considered doing a personal political blog, just so I can voice my thoughts and frustrations. It would be much more therapeutic for me, since my husband only listens to about 30% of this discussions. Just curious.
13 comments:
Keep the political posts coming! They're right on. I wish more people would get involved in political discussion. Just throw in some cute pictures of the kids every once in a while too.
i only wish i knew what you were talking about. you are too smart for me. when it comes time to vote i will read your blog about each candidate and then choose. :)
blogs are for venting, keep it coming.
So I'm sure my vote doesn't have a lot of pull or anything, lol, but I like how you write. You can tell you are passionate about it and you add some humor.. and you aren't "mean" about it either (if that makes sense). I don't always agree with your views but I do enjoy reading what you think.
Actually I really like them! Keep posting political things, they teach me a thing or two.
No, I'm sick of them, I'll have to stop reading until November. ; )
I disagree w/ your assessment of boring. He is not an orator and never will be. I thought that his criticism of both parties was right on and his compliments to the opposition were rare, classy and admirable. I thought the history was extremely pertinent, Its his life experiences that molded him in to the candidate he's become and is his major strength. I do think that if it were up to him things would change. I do agree with your assessment of the lack of "how." That must be the politician in him, I've yet to hear one explain how he/she would do anything. All in all it improved my overall impression of him.
what did you just say? ;)
I love your thoughts on the political front. I am learning a bit from you and its prompting me to research more. Thanks...keep it coming.
I love reading your political posts. Keep them coming. I missed the speach so I was glad to have this to catch up!
Hellow Sara-berry,
Cole here. Remember me? I happen to really enjoy a little political ranting especially coming from a little political runt like yourself. I too dabble in a bit of the political banter myself. I think you're right on with your comments thus far. I watched both speeches and even though the democratic convention snapped, crackled and popped more than the yawn-inducing oratorial meanderings of the Republican convention it is safe to say that no matter how many times you hear that this election year is a more important,a bigger or a more quintessential vicissitude than ever Democrats are still touting the same message they have for year: We will make sub-mediocrity bearable and then punish success with a vengeance. The Republicans, as well, aren't saying anything different either: We will give tax breaks/cuts/etc to everyone (especially big businesses and hope that trickle-down will make Americans feel safe in spending in order to boost the economy. What will be interesting is to see if enough Obama-ites will actually show up at the polls. America, for the last 10 years, has been woefully Democratic but they are too busy recycling to show up to the polls on election day. It seems as though the Democrats might actually show up this year to vote...time will tell.
Anyway, I didn't mean to write that much but let's be honest it's still the same old song and dance...I can only hope that enough voters still beleive in trickle-down and the others are too busy wishing that the government will save them from the trailer park to show up and vote.
Keep up the ranting ya little runt!
Sarah, I enjoy your posts as I don't ever do politics. I have a strange mix of political views in my family and some are strong democrats that like to fight with me so I keep quiet on my blog about what I am thinking....I think it is a good idea to have a political blog...maybe something like momsandpolitics.blogspot.com and have several contributers. Let me know if you do it.
Thought you might be interested in this blog: http://www.lincolncandidate.com/
Sara,
This is Darcy, Melissa Johnson's SIL (remember me from the Arbonne party) I have been checking your blog sometimes and I love the political rants! I dont' know too many people (girls our age especially) who actually care about this stuff as in depth as I do, so it's quite refreshing! And you are very good at analyzing this sort of stuff.
Post a Comment