
We checked in at 7am, and Cannon was full of his Cannon-Energy! He was so excited to show Dr. Orgill his Buzz-Lightyear Pajama's! I came prepared with his 2 favorite blankets, his Buzz and Woody action figures, and thank goodness his prep room had a tv. He would have gone bonkers without some entertainment!

This was post-Versaid. It was an oral solution drug that helps you "relax". He acted completely drunk!!! It was hilarious. I got several videos, and I'll find one to put on here. He kept saying, "Mom, this is soooo cool." (Slurred speech also!) And at one point he wanted me to lay down with him, and when my face was next to his, he started to giggle. He started rubbing my face right by my eye, and said, "You have three eyes mom! And its right there!" It was some comic relief for a long, rough day!

The surgery went well, and when "Dr. Orgill" (also a good family friend) let us go back to see him after, he was a MESS! He was screaming, with his eyes still closed, just thrashing around. I could barely hold him, but thats all I wanted to do! When he finally became coherent, he kept saying, "I WANT IT OFF!!!" And he meant his IV. They had this brace over it, to protect it. One of the nurses drew some "Buzz Lightyear" buttons on it, but that didn't help. She bribed him with trading taking his meds and she will take the IV off. It worked, and that was the first time he sat quietly since surgery.

Here is the un-happy Cannon with the IV still in. Ugh, looking back I feel soo bad!

Once he got the IV out, he did much better. We even got him to eat like 4 popsicles in this post-Op room. And when Dr. Orgill came in to check, we asked if we could go home, and he sent us on our way a couple hours early. Thank goodness!
Since then: For the first 5 days I kept him on a schedule of taking his pain meds. He was a very unhappy boy, slept horribly, wouldn't eat, and I thought he was in so much pain. Nope! He is part of a small percentage of kids who instead of the pain meds to be a sedative, it is a stimulant! So when he was waking up in the middle of the night 3-4 times, it wasn't out of pain, it was out of being wired! And once I got him off of the hard stuff and on to Tylenol, he slept great, and in a few days seemed to be getting better. Besides a few bites here and there, for the first 11 days he didnt' eat anything other than popsicles and frozen gogurts. And poor boy, he was sooo constipated I thought I was a midwife delivering a baby!!! But on about day 13, he came to me in the morning and said, "Mom! I'm hungry!" And said it for the rest of the next few days, eating anything and everything. And now he is back to his normal self, but thankfully sleeping great!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment