Thursday, December 4, 2008

Piano Recital

Can you find the teacher???

Yes, many of my students are taller than me! On Tuesday I had my first piano recital for my piano students. I was a basket case! Even having nightmares days leading up to the big day. But it went great! I had about 15 students perform, a few students were not able to attend. They were so prepared, and it was amazing to see all of their families there in support! I also realized that I have become much more comfortable in front of kids, not a room full of adults. One of my favorite moments of the night was when one of my students performed "Rain, Rain, Go Away". He confidently played the piece well. Then continued playing it for a second time. Then a third. And a fourth, without any signs of slowing down! I tried whispering to him, "Last time [indentity protected!]" but he obviously didn't hear me. So he continued on for his fifth time through! I tried again, without him noticing. Finally, after about the eighth time his dad started clapping, and the audience followed suit. It was hilarious and endearing! Although they haven't been 'formal lessons', I have been teaching Brenna. She absolutely wanted to be apart of the recital, and played her favorite, "Mary had a little lamb". She didn't seem the least bit nervous and did GREAT! Afterwards, we had some nummy treats and enjoyed each others company! I decided I am definitely doing a Spring Recital also!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so great that you teach piano lessons. i quit taking when i turned 18. i sort of wish i kept going. i might be able to remember how to play had i stayed with it.

Sara@iSass said...

How cute!
I have to say it is weird when kids are taller then me! It makes me feel like I belong in OZ! Munchkinland. That is so cool that you teach piano, I'd love for Butter to try. I'll have to work on getting a keyboard first!

Wendy said...

You're so cute, glad it went well.

Bray said...

You did a great job!!

sheena said...

you're so cute! thanks for pointing out where you were!

Mary said...

I did not know you teach piano!!!! I'm thinking about doing that myself. K. I wanna know all the details. How did you start teaching piano? Where do you teach? Do you havea real piano? DId you have to get a certificate or antyhing?? How much do you charge? what ages do you teach? Do you buy the books, or do you have them buy them? hah.. sorry for all the questions, but i've been trying to look into teaching.. and who better to ask than you!

Kyle Peterson said...

Oh looks like a success. I love teaching kids too. I definitely feel more comfortable around kids because I think I am still one. That is pretty hillarious about the little boy never wanting to stop. I think you have a concert pianist on your hands.