Friday, February 8, 2008

ER means ...er...what should we do?

Cannon has always had acid reflux. He has been on medicine for it since about 6 weeks old. But for the past 2 weeks, it has turned from spitting up to throwing up to unloading all stomach contents on anything within 5 feet. It hit a peak last night when after each fit of vomitting, it looked like he stopped breathing. It happened 3-4 times. It looked like he was choking or drowning, he couldn't catch his breath for over 10 seconds. It freaked us out! The nurse on call from our pediatrician's office suggested going in to the ER. Initially, we decided against it. It was around 10:45pm and we were exhausted. Until Cannon threw up once again, and started choking once again. So, I packed him up and took off to the ER, with Ryan staying home with a sleeping Brenna.

I checked in around 11:15pm, and sat down in a relatively crowded waiting room. I was not brought back to be seen until 3:30am!!! 4 hours of sitting amongst sick people, arguing with the front desk nurse to get us back there, feeding Cannon, cleaning up more vomit, etc. After finally getting seen, the doctor proceeds to tell me he thinks he has...wait for it... acid reflux! No! Really? After doing an abdominal x-ray, a cat-scan, trying 5 separate places to place an IV while I had to hold him down, guess what they found? Nothing. Which is a relief! But they come to discharge us, and give us a prescription for acid reflux. We are already giving him meds for acid reflux!

Very long story short: We saw his amazing pediatrician, she gave great suggestions, we're on a wait-and-see period, upped his current meds, and I finally felt comfortable with the prognosis. If it stays the same or gets worse, we'll go see a Pediatric GI specialist. We'll keep you updated!

6 comments:

Heather S :o) said...

This is Heather!(Swainston)I hope Cannon gets better! i dont want him to have to go through that!

P.S. If you dont already know about my blog, here's the web address! www.hedrosblog.blogspot.com

Rachelle said...

oh sarah! this is awful, i am so very sorry. i wish i was closer and could have helped you! hope you and cannon are okay.

Frampton Family said...

Sarah! This is so sad. I hope little Cannon is bouncing back. I'm sure you're just as tired as Cannon with all this happening.

~Janelle

Alona said...

That stinks! So sorry!

Bray said...

I HATE going to the ER. They treat you like a nuisance and leave you to rot in the waiting room. I avoid it at all costs...sorry you had to go through that.

The High Family- said...

I am super sorry about your ER fiasco. Glad that Cannon is on the mend. Life is not fun when you have a sick baby. Sounds to me like you are taking it all like a trooper.