Friday, April 29, 2011

This could be my son

For those of you who don't know this plump face, shame on you! Does "Who's on First?" ring any bells??? This is Lou Costello. I used to walk my young little legs across the street, to our neighborhood video store, Top Hat Video. To rent the VHS tapes, we would pull a circle, brass tab off of a nail, give it to the owner - who I was on a first name basis with, and I tried to coax into hiring me from about 9 years old on - and they would make sure it was rewound before giving it to me. I watched "The Naughty Nineties" and "Meet Frankenstein" and "African Screams" and "Meet the Mummy"... I even considered starting with the first, and watching all of them in sequence.

It may be genetic, but Cannon has begun the circular conversations that Costello was notorious for, i.e. "Who's on first?" Today, I tried to remember it verbatim, just so I could share! Here we go:


Me: Cannon, you need to pick this up.


Cannon: I did pick it up.


Me: No, you didn't. It is still all over the floor.


Cannon: What's on the floor.


Me: The pretzels!!! Pick them up!


Cannon: I did pick it up.


Me: Cannon. No you didn't. Pleeeeaaaaasssseee help me clean up the pretzels (said, while

gritting my teeth)


Cannon: What pretzels?


Me: The ones on the floor that I am cleaning up! Please pick them up!!!


Cannon: I did pick them up.


Me: (I finally just pick up all the dumb pretzels!)


Cannon: Mom?


Me: WHAT?!?!?!


Cannon: (Sighs, and smiles) You're the best!


I swear this kid understands everything he is doing, and gets the biggest kick out of it! I need to show him some of the old movies, and see if he finds it hilarious when someone else does his schtick! And now that I see his picture, Cannon does resemble Costello...

3 comments:

John Ottosen said...

moments like those are great. When you look back on them. I have put together saying of my kids so I don't loose them.

Lorraine said...

Looks like it worked. He's no dummy but I am not so sure about his mother. Perhaps a little more patience, Sarah. I love you both. Cannon must take after my side he is so smart. Grandma Lorraine

Kimberly Rodriguez said...

Bhahahah! Love it!