Friday, June 19, 2009

Witness




Seven years ago on Sunday, June 21, Ryan and I got married. He was 22 years old, and I was a newly turned 20 year old. Getting married so young went against everything I believed or had planned for myself. I had a 10 year plan which did not involve a husband. Then I met Ryan. How could someone who had never had a serious boyfriend, really only started dating in college, find the man they are supposed to marry before they are 20 years old? By design beyond my understanding, that was the plan for me.


I have heard experts, comedians, psychologist, talk show and radio hosts, all conclude that no one should get married in their 20's. I would have whole-heartedly agreed with them before I met Ryan. "You are too naive, inexperienced, immature to make such a commitment." If I was ever asked by one of these marital cynics why on earth I would want to get married so young, and remain married to him for time and all eternity; what would I say?

I have come to the conclusion that I want a witness to my life, and I want to be a witness to his life. I am a different person than I was 7 years ago. I have had amazing personal triumphs and devastating tragedies. Many of my weaknesses have become strengths, and vice versa. And although I can take satisfaction in what I have learned over the past 7 years, it means that much more to have Ryan there for the ride. And to know he appreciates it just as much, or even more, makes it all the more meaningful. Even more, I have relished in being the witness for Ryan's life. Why would you not want someone to come home to after being laid off, to comfort you? Why would you not want someone to celebrate with you when you get your dream job? Why would you not want someone there to cry with you when you get bad medical news? Why wouldn't you want someone there to witness your life, and unconditionally love you through everything? I can't imagine making it through the past 7 years without him.

2 comments:

Tori Orgill said...

Congratulations you two wonderful lovebirds!

Rachel and Todd said...

Hooray for you two! You are definitely one of my favorite couples in the history of the world.