Friday, January 30, 2009

Back to School


Like I mentioned before, we have had a small ice storm hit us Monday. Of course the powers that be in Edmond Public Schools decided the parents needed some quality time with their kids, and closed schools not just Tuesday...but Wednesday....and Thursday! The roads were slick Tuesday, I didn't even attempt them. Wednesday evening, we ventured out. Thursday, the main roads were clear but the neighborhoods were still pretty slick. Still no school. We filled our days with painting nails, baking cookies, coloring, cleaning, and playing with friends. But I was ready for her to return at least one day before the weekend hit. And she was also just as ready. I didn't have to fight her to do her hair, or put on a warm enough jacket. I told Ryan that tonight, we are going on a date! I don't care where, or what we do. I just need a few hours out of the house, and away from my kids, where I can have some uninterrupted spousal conversation! Is that horrible? So, the babysitter is scheduled, but not sure what the plans are.



(Cue the grandma voice, rocking chair creaking in the background) When I was a kid, we would have feet of snow fall, school buses sliding down the foothills in Provo, and never having a snow day! I don't ever remember school being cancelled because of weather. But here, if there is the slightest amount of snow or ice, everything shuts down. But after being on the roads Monday after the ice hit, and watching these poor Oklahomans try to figure out the physics of driving on ice, I'm glad I didn't have an excuse to venture out on the roads with them.

2 comments:

Arthur V. / Gene D. W. said...

The sun is shining again in Edmond....enjoy your weekend. Hug's to each of you!

Rachel and Todd said...

You're not bad for wanting a date. My marriage prep teacher said a baby-sitter is much cheaper than a divorce. Ha ha. Love you!