I just love this man! I had the opportunity of meeting him just a few months after he was put in as the Prophet, in Palmyra, New York. We were there visiting my grandparents who were serving a mission, and he was there on "business" for the Church. (Find out later, planning and looking at land for the Palmyra Temple was the reason for his visit). The night he was visiting, we all stayed in the same apartments. My sister and I shared an air-mattress on the kitchen floor. You would think it would be a horrible nights sleep, but I remember waking up very early feeling completely rested. My grandma and the sisters helping her, scurried around trying to make a fabulous breakfast. Some kind of foreign waffles, I think, with different breakfast meats, juices, fruit, etc. He walked in, with his body guards, and said: "This looks delicious. But I just usually have a little oatmeal." My grandma's jaw dropped! The one thing they didn't spend hours preparing. His tease had the desired effect, and he assured her he just joking. I was so nervous meeting him, but he quickly put everyone at ease. The breakfast was brief, and his body guards quickly moved him onto his next assignment. It was amazing to me that an 80+ man could keep up with this schedule! But before he left, my grandma was able to snap a picture of me, my sister, Elder Pinnock and his wife, and President Hinckley. (I will post that later). From that time on, I had no doubt that he was the Lord's living prophet on the earth. Here is a great video that someone sent me about President Hinckley:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM8q1rwG1E0&feature=related
2 comments:
wow - what a wonderful experience and dear memory of the Prophet!
I just found the same picture to put on our blog. Thanks for your story--glad I got to hear it before the masses! : ) Wendy
Post a Comment