I was very nervous about yesterday. I had known about that day for over a month. Brooklyn has had numerous ear infections, about 2+ months of not sleeping through the night, been on almost continual antibiotics, and just plain miserable. So I had anticipated a very rough February 13th. She was getting tubes in her ears, and her tonsils and adenoids removed. To complicate the day a little more, it SNOWED!!! Not SNOWMAGEDDON, only about 2 inches, but the roads were slick. Driving at 6am in the pitch black morning, anticipating a possibly horrible day, on slick freeways is compounding nerves! But we arrived safely, on time, and the process getting her into the surgery room was very quick and easy!
Waiting in the pre-op room. She never asked for food or drink, which I was relieved! Because I'd have to say no! She was just happy to wait to see Dr. Orgill. She really likes her ENT, which made this entire process so much easier!
I finally talked her into getting into the hospital gown, and I think she could then sense that something big was going on. But she didn't crack! When the nurse came in to take her back, she went with it. No tears, just very large eyes taking it all in.
I waited only about 40 minutes until Dr. Orgill came out to tell me everything went VERY well. Ears were great. Her ear drums were red, so he was worried that it would be infected behind her ear drums. But it was just a lot of fluids. We knew her tonsils were huge, but he said that her adenoids were very large - hence all of her snoring. They brought me back to her post-op room. One major difference between this walk, and the one to Cannon's post-op room was, I didn't hear her screaming!!! Cannon was screaming at the top of his lungs. Brooklyn was asleep on the nurses lap! I quickly scooped her up.
The best part of my day! I loved holding this girl. She came down from the medicine very smoothly.
Right when we got into the room, she started drinking juice boxes. She downed 3 apple juice boxes. She was impatient with all of the tubes, and ankle bracelets, and hospital gown. She kept asking for home. She kept asking to "go up and down" in the elevator. But just kept a smile on her face...at least when the camera was on her!
She loved being held by her dad. He could calm her down much quicker than me. Poor guy, her post-surgery fevered sweaty body kept him on fire!
And of course, daddy kept her better entertained than her worn out mama. In the pediatric wing they had a children's play room. It had movies you could rent, toys, and lots of wagons and cars. Brooklyn rode in each one, being pushed up and down the short hallway.
This kept her distracted from her annoyance with her situation. Her biggest annoyance was her IV. It was wrapped in a soft wrap, which would slide around as she moved. She hated it! We tried to make her like it more by putting a sticker on it. Didn't work!
They also had a Dora surgery hat. She thought it was funny to wear it. But not for very long!
Ryan left in the afternoon, which made her a mess! She cried, and cried, and cried. And finally, cried herself to sleep. It was so sad to watch! I just held her while she cried. I was thinking she would sleep for a long time, because she hadn't slept since the surgery! But, it only lasted about 45 mins. After her short nap, she was more aggitated, I think realizing she was still there. Finally, in talking wtih the nurse, I asked about bringing her home. She asked Dr. Orgill, and with certain directions, he released her!!!
Once home, she relaxed a lot! She drank 2 sippy cups of milk, a Capri Sun and half a cup of water. She didn't want to eat, but took her meds well, and went to bed relatively easily. Brenna and I swapped rooms, so I could be in there with her to watch her more closely and to hopefully keep her from waking up Brenna. We put her to bed at 9:30pm, and she slept until 8AM!!! That was her best nights sleep in MONTHS!!! When she woke up, she did say her throat hurt, took her medicine, and was soon asking for a donut. So, I obliged!
I thought she'd take one bite, then give it back. Instead, she chewed each biteful thoroughly, swallowed carefully, and enjoyed the entire donut. She is still fussy, but if kept on her pain meds, she is doing extremely well! I am so relieved she is responding the way she is! I think this was just what her poor worn out body needed.
2 comments:
that is the cutest little face! so sorry she had to have surgery but it sounds like it was for the best. hospital stays with kids can be the pits!
glad all is well sarah! miss you friend.
Oh, just seeing her all gowned up makes me a little sad. It's always a bit heartbreaking to see little ones sick and sad. I love how she's still smiling though tired! Hope the recovery continues to be smooth-sailing. Love you guys!
Post a Comment