I have been having gall bladder issues. Gall bladder attacks. Feeling sick after eating. You know, the typical stuff. My last gall bladder attack happened on our first day driving home from Las Vegas. We were about 2 hours into the drive, in nowhere Arizona, and I knew I needed to find a bathroom. Quick. I have a phobia of vomitting in close proximity to people. In an ideal situation, I am all alone in my own recently cleaned bathroom, with a towel covering my eyes and nose and ears, to try to drown out the sights, sounds, and smells. High maintenance? Yeah, probably. I didn't have that luxary. I was stuck in a car filled with noisy kids, my mom, an anxious husband, and only a Target plastic bag to be any kind of recepticle. I curled up in the fetal position, tried to find a happy place, and wait for the next rest stop.
It took about an hour. We finally pulled over to a gas station. Not my ideal. I ran inside, and spent about 2 hours either hovering over or sitting on a not-so-recently-cleaned toilet. Which didn't help settle my stomach. I hobbled to the car, and waited about another hour and a half to find a grocery store to get some much needed medication. A location I spent another hour and a half in their bathroom.
After this experience, I gladly walked into the OU surgical center to have Dr. Babyface Kilgore take out my gall bladder. (Babyface is a compliment, he looks my age, but is a very well known surgeon in this area). Surgery went fine, anesthesia did not. I came out of it crying. And cried straight for a couple hours till it wore off. Don't ask me why, cause I dont' really know! The 2 days post-op were horrible. Which I found out after getting off the heavy drugs, my body doesn't like percocet! Once I was on Ibuprofen, I was MUCH better. We had great support from my mom, mom-in-law, friends, Church friends, and even my school sent me a card with everyone's well wishes (and happy thoughts). I got several batches of flowers, which some are still alive and bright today! My mom stayed till Thursday afternoon, and by then I was at least functional. Some good R&R over Conference weekend was just what the doctor ordered, and I was back at work the next week. It is amazing what your body can do. How fast it can heal. What medical advances make the rebound time minimal. My surgeon used a ROBOT to do my surgery. A robot. And my only incision was through my belly button. It is amazing what time we are living in and what medical advances we have.
No comments:
Post a Comment