Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Hubby!



Today is Ryan's 29th birthday! And he is spending the evening with the Cub Scouts, poor boy! He is absolutely my best friend, who makes me laugh especially when I don't want to. He is the perfect complement to me in everyway. He's tall, I'm short. He's funny, I'm more serious. He's laid back, I'm uptight. He's physically coordinated, I'm musically gifted. He's street smart, I'm book smart. He's always wrong, and I'm always right. We're perfect for each other! And for the past 7 years we have celebrated his birthday in different ways. For our first birthday of his together, he proposed!
His parents had visited the weekend before, to meet the girl their son had fallen in love with. It was a great visit, which included his dad embarrassing me in front of about 20 of our closest friends with a stupid riddle that I just did NOT get! I guess it is part of the Bushman initiation process. I guess I passed! Well, at some point over the weekend I was teasing Ryan for not getting me my ring yet. We had the temple scheduled, other reservations made, and I still was ring-less. His dad said, "Oh, you only have to wait till Monday!" I thought, surely he wouldn't ruin the surprise of when his baby boy would propose! Monday was Ryan's birthday. I didn't think too much about it, even though I was hoping I only had to wait till Monday!
Monday came around, and I insisted on making dinner for Ryan. We decided to have a quiet evening at his aunt's house, while they were out of town, without roommates interrupting. He decided on Chinese food. We bought the ingredients, including fortune cookies, and headed over. I made a chicken broccoli stir-fry, eggrolls and ham fried rice. While I was preparing the meal, Ryan put the fortune cookies in a bowl. He picked one up and opened it. I joined in, unknowing I was foiling his plan! When I opened it, it read "June 21st, what do you say?" That was the day we scheduled for our wedding. I immediately became nervous, knowing what was coming. I looked up at him flabbergasted, and he said, "I have to go to the bathroom."
WHAT?!?!? You have to go to the bathroom? Right now? While he was gone, I paced the kitchen floor. Is he teasing me like his dad? This is beyond funny! When he came back, he suggested me opening up another one. This fortune read, "Will you marry me?" He then got down on his knee, pulled a ring box out of his pocket (which I found out later, the ring was hidden in the bathroom, waiting there till after dinner!) and asked me if I would marry him. Of course, I cried. Of course, I said yes. Of course, we shared a passionate kiss. That was our first birthday celebration for Ryan.
7 years later, we have had different types of birthdays. As students, as new parents, as employed, as unemployed. But no matter the circumstance, we have been extremely happy since that first birthday together. So Ryan, Happy Birthday! I love you.

4 comments:

Tori Orgill said...

Happy Birthday Bushman!! We love you!!

danette said...

Happy Birthday Ryan. I could not remember if it was today or yesterday. I hope your last year in your 20's is great.

Ashley Dickman said...

happy birthday... i hope dan called you and that scouts was just a BLAST for you!

Arthur V. / Gene D. W. said...

Love you baby boy with baby boy of your own! Thank's for blogging Sarah...It's fun to hear of you and Ryan's experiences. We love you and your hubby & babies!