Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Minor Victory

We have been discussing switching our phone service from at&t to Vonage. We would get lots of features (anywhere long distance, caller ID, call waiting, voice mail, etc) but only pay what we are currently paying for very (very) basic local phone service. We had gotten it all set up, but they had informed us that we were not able to keep our phone number. Well, I didn't want to change. So I called at&t. Conversation as follows (summarized)

Sarah: I am calling to cancel service.
Larry (name protected): I'm sorry. Whats the problem?
Sarah: Actually, I don't want to switch, but my husband wants to switch to Vonage. They provide more services for what we're paying now. And I want those same features, but I would prefer staying with you guys.
Larry: Well, I can give you the same benefits for the same price. Just stick with us, and we'll give you the same services.
Sarah: You mean I'll get anywhere long distance, caller id, call waiting, everything for $24.99 like Vonage.
Larry: Yup, and I'll even credit your account $25 for being a loyal customer!
Sarah: SWEET!!!

It felt so good to not only get better service, but to save money! Woo-hoo! I am so used to calling phone companies, insurance companies, doctors offices, and having them treat me like a leper! For once the CUSTOMER WAS RIGHT!

Have you been a "right customer" lately?

4 comments:

jeanine said...

NICE! Sometimes it pays to call!!!

Angie said...

WOW! What a lucky ducky day! I like AT&T even more than I used to!

Janna said...

You have got to love that!!!

P.S. We had Vonage for a while and it was HORRIBLE. It cut out about 70% if the time. BUT, we have a wifi tower on our house (it's kind of like satellite). The service might have been better with an actual land line (cable).

Alona said...

Who knew phone companies bargain! Good to know!